Monday 26 March 2018

Adventure wherever you are

Hello! Elizabeth here!

Adventure is one of my main motivations for...well, a lot of what I do (moving to Singapore, traveling, marrying a certain someone...). And yet, it takes energy and initiative, so sometimes gets forgotten.

We've been living in Singapore for over half a year now. Our nice little neighborhood is not a tourist hotspot or expatriate mecca, but it has easy access to everything we need: the kids' school, parks, food, and the MRT.

Part of that equation is the nearby food center. It's no Chinatown Food Center (which has over 200 stalls!) no, ours is more human scaled and comprehensible. And yet...and yet somehow I've patronized only about a dozen of them.

Well that doesn't seem right! I'm here for adventure, what am I doing picking just a few stalls? It is time to branch out and try something new for a couple weeks! I am a woman on a mission!

First up: Fatt Soon Kueh. It serves three types of kueh. What's kueh, you ask? What an excellent question...please hold on while I consult my friend Google.


Ah! Well, apparently kueh are bite sized snacks of a huge variety (that I shall have to hunt down and try), often being dessert-like. This is soon kueh, which is a steamed dumpling. There are three main types of soon kueh. Hey! this stall sells three types - what a coincidence! We're dealing with a choice between chive, jicama, or rice, each for $3 a plate. I chooooooose.....chive!


Oh look! they provided me with some sauces - I'll drizzle them on, because clearly that is how these things are done, right? It looks pretty good; and you can see my beloved teh (aka milk tea) in the background (sooo yummy....sooo much condensed milk). 

I cut into it, and woah! That's a lot of chive!

They weren't kidding about the chive - it's pretty much all cooked chives in there. Now I wonder what the other two types are like - this may require further investigation (oh drat ;) ).

Well, I can report that the chives are mild, and that the brown sauce is sweetish while the red one is a bit spicy, and it all together was a tasty combination. I ate it all, of course. I'm happy to go back, but there are still plenty of other options to explore!

So, back to you. Had any local adventures lately wherever you are? It really doesn't take traveling halfway across the world to have a mini-adventure.

1 comment:

  1. You are a brave woman. At a sandwich shop in the Netherlands I ordered the ros bief because I could guess what that was. I am NOT an adventuresome eater.

    ReplyDelete